Thursday, November 21, 2002

:: Open representations (Part I) ::

Absent Images

Having already posted a general overview of Stuart Hall's theory on representation in the media here, in this blogspace, I thought that for tonight's post, I'd apply some of those theories to the actual experience of blogging, both from a blogger's perspective and from a blogreader's perspective. Not so coincidentally, this topic will also be the focus of a presentation I'm doing in my COMZ class next week.

Note, though, that I've got the flu today and as such, the brain isn't firing on all cylinders. Thus, I think I'm going to do this blogpost as a series of related posts over the course of the next few days. Hopefully, I can setup the argument, the theory, the analysis and the examples in a way that makes sense in this representation of them.

++++++++++++++++++++


Diving into Stuart Hall's theories on representation of meaning in the mass media, I am quickly struck by his idea that there is no inherent meaning in a representation of an issue or opinion itself. While he speaks most often about representations through images, I don't see why this theory can't be applied to a textual representation, such as a blogpost.

Of course, the first notable thing about this is the overt lack of imagery in blogs, in general. It was one of the first things that struck me about the medium of blogging -- it doesn't have to be advertisement supported, and it lets the message reign supreme. The focus is on the text. Even most of the interfaces are clean and spare and simple; it is all intended to focus eyes on the posts and their messages.

Try it -- sideways surf through some of the blogs I've linked to at the left there and check it out...feel free to sideways surf to some of their links while you're there.....

Back? Did you see what I mean? No matter how many you go through, you note an absence of images, or at the very least, a seemingly deliberate restraint in their use and care in their selection.

Tomorrow I'll talk about the back end of blogging -- the way bloggers put out their messages and how that relates to this theory of an emphasis on the textual message.

No comments: