Tuesday, November 19, 2002

:: Ever have one of those moments? ::

I call them "Eureka!" moments, so-named for the expression I might consider using aloud when I have one of those brain clicks, in which all the miscellaneous parts of a puzzle that I didn't know my brain was even working on suddenly all seem to fall in place. I usually feel my vision get clearer, my heart start to race, my eyes widen. Thoughts race, testing out the new clarity of understanding, of illumination. If it all works, if any of my tests still fit into the hypotheses or brain click I've had, I will usually grin like the proverbial Cheshire Cat, pick up my walking pace and utter wonderingly out loud a single word....

"wow!"

Many things can bring these on for me. Often, it's because I've read something that has...resonated...that's the best word I can think of. It's resonated with me, somehow. Other things, though, that seem completely trivial and should not lead to this kind of a brain click, should seem unimportant and unremarkable, can also lead to one of these moments.

It's like a chain reaction, the newly-acquired idea butting up against existing ideas, information, guesses and questions and forming an entirely new idea, a moment of brain clarity so sweet, so sharp, so...real...that I want to jump and shout and proclaim to the world....

....well....something. Sometimes profane, sometimes not. Of course, doing so would be liable to get me some very strange or worried stares from the people around me.

I have the incredibly strong urge to share it. And often can't. For any number of reasons.

Ever had one of these moments?

No comments: