Saturday, November 02, 2002

:: Biting the bullet ::


In order to actually be able to actually make a convincing argument à la De Certeau that bloggers use the net for their own meanings and pleasures, I need to prove it.

Big deal you say? I say yes. Why?

A quick scan of any collection of blogs would allow me to infer through the blogs’ content that the vast majority of bloggers do it for the love of it. Reading any number of books, including The Weblog Handbook will offer up opinions to me on why bloggers blog.

Still though, for my purposes, that isn’t first-hand enough, it isn’t real enough. I need to actually interact with the bloggers themselves, with the people behind the sites. I need to find out who they are, why they blog, what they get out of it and what keeps them blogging.

So here’s the dilemma - What kind of response do you figure most good, established bloggers will give me if I send out an email (personal of course, not chain or broadcast style) asking for this kind of info and telling them it is for a university project?

My guess? Silence.

Yes, I'm afraid it will be treated like spam and discarded.

Still and all, I guess I'd better try and bite the bullet.

Will it be ****-off or feedback? I’d best start finding out – the project is due beginning of December.

No comments: