Saturday, October 29, 2005

Quote diving

As I'm starting to formulate my responses to grad school applications, I'm browsing around Wikiquote, looking for the right quotation to sum up how I feel about the journey I'm about to embark on as a serious scholar. It was inspired, actually, by a TV show that claimed a quotation apparently from Winston Churchill, which says, "The farther back you can look, the farther forward you can see" (although I've found no reliable proof yet that he actually said this).

Others from him I've liked tonight:

What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?

The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.

And, as comic relief, this one:

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.

No comments: