Thursday, October 20, 2005

Is Google evil?

I clicked over to Google Scholar last night to do some research for a Contemporary Social Theory class. Somehow, I procrastinated my way over to the Google Labs page and wow! have they expanded! I knew that they were working on a lot of stuff, based on the media coverage I'd been following about them. I guess I didn't realize just how much they'd been adding. Video. Ride Finder. Suggest. The list is long.

Is Google betraying its company philosophy of "Do no evil"? Some think so, says Tim Wu at Slate and the recent spate of negative coverage is an example, he notes, of the clash of Silicon Valley values with old-school Hollywood protectionism.

Oh! if you have any ideas on how to link together the frame analysis work of Goffman with the pragmatist school of philosophy per Joas/Mead/Dewey, drop me a note! I'm desperate!

No comments: