Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Uneasy feminism

I've started reading feminist theory from what is known as the "third wave feminism". It starts with the anti-racist movement and then moves into post-modern and post-structuralist feminism.

What bothers me though about the turn in this wave is the notion of embracing difference, not just of race, class and sexuality but also of differences of tactics and approaches. I get the sense from these readings that they are reifying the notion of women's nurturing as intrinsically female and therefore completely alien to men. The suggestion seems to be that this nurturing, supporting, emotional femininity is better than an apparently male logical analytical nature.

I keep wanting to ask in my class - why can't we both both? Why can't I use my cool head as much as my hot heart?

This article says as much too, better than I have put it here. When reading Audre Lorde's introduction to her book "The Master's tools will never dismantle the Master's house", I kept asking myself what's wrong with using the Master's tools against him? Why can't I be subversive AND inventive AND compassionate?

No comments: