Thursday, March 30, 2006

Am I too Canadian?

Okay so there may be no such thing to my fellow Canadians, but I wonder about it when I start getting responses back from US schools saying basically "thanks but no thanks" and yet all the Canadian schools so far are saying "please please come here!". I had thought that with my GPA, GRE scores, interesting professional background and all around scholarly potential (ahem!) that I would get some sort of a decent offer from one of the three US schools to which I applied.

Yes Georgetown accepted me, but not with funding and delving deeper into that program, I wonder now, in hindsight, if that is why they do all the flattering recruitment -- because they're hoping you'll pay the US$29K to attend. Emory was rude in their email followup (promising a refusal letter in the mail right away that hasn't arrived yet, three weeks later). Then today, the final rejection email -- UMass was polite but firmly refusing my potential for their program.

I'm so curious why I didn't make the US cut. I'll have to cultivate some US academic contacts, preferably on placement committees, so I can better understand what I did wrong in presenting myself to US schools. Given where I'm considering applying for my PhD in two years (yes I'm already looking to that), it would be good to get a game plan going on soon.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

maybe you can ask yourself what you did right to get into Georgetown ;o)

Sashay said...

Oh I know what I did right - they thought that as an adult late-entry learner from an "international" country, I'd be willing to cough up the cash for the program.

Guess they know now that they were wrong. ;-)