Saturday, March 05, 2005

Mass media musing

Bart from GameCODE sent out a link to this thought piece and I watched it with Kelly last night. While I found it interesting, I guess I don't find it that scary simply because we've set ourselves on this path already. Having been in communications and employee/business portal design and management in the last dozen years, I've looked often into that future to consider its ramifications. A few thoughts of mine....

The recommendation software that is out there hasn't changed all that much since 1994. I remember being agog with the concept of Amazon back then, when we were still using v2.0 of Netscape Navigator and trying to ignore the coming of Microsoft's own browser. The software is still almost as crude and is based on everything people buy, with no context. Thus, if I have a friend who is pregnant and has no credit card and I buy a book on pregnancy for her, for the next few months I will be deluged by Amazon with book recommendations about pregnancy, breast-feeding, child-rearing etc. I have no way of telling it that I have no interest in such books.

I find Epic no scarier actually than the idea of concentrating and consolidating all news, entertainment media and literary publishing in the hands of a few mega-conglomerates, an alternate path that is also already well under way. Truth is no more assured in that path than it is in the Epic style.

And the latter is perhaps scarier because the human tendency to not bother personalizing and to simply allow yourself to be spoon-fed information based on what someone else thinks you ought to know is well ingrained. Personalization systems and personalized "portals" were all the rage in IT in the mid-1990s but they never took off because they overestimated individuals' desire to be proactive about their information needs.

Who here remembers Open Sesame? Excite? The Globe.com? Exactly my point.

So, for me, the interesting thing under all of this is the power plays, the effects of such information dissemination tactics on our feelings of agency. But then again, I too may be guilty of overstating people's desire to have agency and individuality.

And ultimately it is that which I find the most scary.

No comments: