Thursday, March 24, 2005

Creating public spaces for collaboration

Some of my fellow students have been introducing me via email in the apparently ongoing debate about how much of the academic research process should be publicly accessible by any interested in the topic. The argument for the idea is that there is more to research than the finished polished product and so the actual process itself should be observable by the public.

While I agree that it can work, it usually requires the controlled space of something like the Wikipedia. When those types of social networks are absent, as they usually are in smaller scale academic research teams, disastrous results can occur. This group's public Wiki is a sad example of what happens when you attempt to put this high-minded ideal into practice.

This isn't the first time I've seen this happen. It makes me wonder what the actual benefit is to the public of areas like this. From what I've seen, they force the research group in question to play vigilant content cop and janitor, when they should be focused on thought creation and group collaboration.

No comments: