Monday, December 15, 2003

:: Memories of childhood Decembers ::

Interesting how strongly I remember the date December 1 from my childhood. I guess because that was always the day when, after a shopping trip to Zellers, my mom would bring home a big, Christmas-scened multi-doored Advent Calendar and put it up on the fridge.

The calendar had little chocolates behind each date's brightly-illustrated door and I looked forward to going home from school each afternoon so that I could carefully tear open up the day's door to see what the shape was for that day's chocolate piece. My favourite was always the angel, which usually came around the 15th. (Odd thinking of that now, considering how devoutly religious I was...then.)

Leslie Harpold obviously remembers this excited feeling of discovery -- her online advent calendar, while not containing any chocolate pieces, still gives you the same feeling.

[Found via Rebecca Blood]

No comments: