Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Origin stories

I am wondering these days if our desire to always bring things back to the originary creator (i.e. humanity) is a fundamental part of our psyche and our need to feel we control our world(s)?

What I find fun and interesting about studying non-human agency is the fact that the question is moot really about who created the being/entity/thing being examined. The question of non-human agency centres around capacity and capability to act, not on the omnipotent human actor that birthed the non-human actor. I find it particularly fun when you consider that I, too, at my fundamental basic level of academic identification, consider myself a sociologist. But in my sociology, I study interactions between humans and their environment, which can and does include non-humans, particularly in the digital context. But I don't feel that I have to place humans at the centre of my examinations.

Perhaps this comes too from my desire to be a philosopher of sorts, without having to go back to reading Plato and Aristotle.

Certainly this whole question of origin stories is one I'm really getting into these days. What is the power of these origin stories in our world today? Why is it so necessary for us to continously remind ourselves that we created the Internet? That we can fix the earth's environmental problems? That we are full of power? What purpose and function does this serve? Why is it so important to us?

Thinking of this a lot these days as I read scads of Foucault and as I contemplate the multivariate nature of power as a pure force.
[Above musing inspired by a great juicy thoughtful post
over on the
Digital Conversations blog]

No comments: