Monday, September 18, 2006

Plagiarism and honesty

Being in academia, I am constantly exposed to the messages from faculty and the 'deme as to what would happen if I were to cheat or plagiarize. I don't know if I'd ever understood just how serious a problem it was, probably because in a rather odd but typical way, I assumed that since it has never entered my head to do so, it is over-reported as a phenomenon.

But according to various experts, including Susan J. Douglas, a feminist academic that I respect and whose work I've used, as high as 70% of undergraduates have cheated or plagiarized. That number is astonishing!

Douglas' most recent column in one of my favourite alternate current affairs magazine, In These Times, brings to light another form of plagiarism that is apparently just as practiced but is also made acceptable by corporate greed and message spin. It is done under the guise of journalism, reporting, news and platform promotion. The strident anti-Democrat and anti-progressive words of Ann Coulter are just one more example, Douglas says. Unlike for undergrads and others, it is acceptable for Coulter to directly plagiarize because she's big business for her publisher.

I was taught early that, while researching and writing, "when in doubt, cite". It is a rule I live by. I'd rather litter my work with references to their idea seeds from others than be a thief, liar and poseur. Sadly, too few others apparently share this belief and motivation, and corporate power is making acceptable to ignore it altogether, if it brings in money and fame.

My point here isn't to glorify or vilify plagiarism per se, but rather to show the double standard yet again at work in North America. And to point at another potential cause and effect relationship that is partly responsible for the continued disenfranchisement of youth and degradation of moral character in society in general.

No comments: