Friday, January 13, 2006

CFP risk

Okay so I'm probably dreaming in technicolour, but I just finished putting together and submitting a paper submission to the American Sociological Association's 2006 conference, Great Divide. I sent in a paper called "Rapping Adorno" that uses German-Turkish youth rappers to gainsay the seeming stifling totality of Adorno's negative stance towards mass culture and popular culture.

It felt odd though to see no institution after my name on my submission. As of May, I'll be in a rather liminal state academically. I'll no longer be a student at Concordia but will not yet be a student at whatever grad school accepts me and me them.

I know that I probably haven't a hope in Hades of getting accepted -- I've heard it said that the rejection rate for this conference is somewhere around 80%?!? But I couldn't resist - the conference will be in Montreal, after all. Funnily enough, though, I may not be by then - I hope to be in Toronto, Burnaby, Amherst (MA), or Atlanta.

If it doesn't (when it doesn't?) get accepted, I'll start working on submitting it to a few journals, though at this point, I have no ideas which ones.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yey, miss Sashay, don't beat yourself up in advance! Instead, focus on the good parts of your paper (which by my knowledge should include everything from top of the first page down to the bottom of the last, with references!)So, don't worry - be happy, in spite of the workload, and apply for that thing in Copenhagen or Helsinki!
And ps: fingers crossed for your paper! You'll work this one out, I'm sure :)