Thursday, October 21, 2004

Is Powerpoint evil?

I confess: I create a lot of Powerpoint presentations. I do a lot of standing in front of small crowds of people in corporate boardrooms hitting the [Enter] key and spouting off on my topic du jour. It's an unfortunate side effect of my day job. I never intended to become a Powerpoint dominatrix - it just sort of happened over the years.

Thus, it's probably not that surprising that I'm the go-to gal for any of my friends who need to learn and use this colourful tool of the Dark Side in order to better their grades and impress their profs.

My friend, Kelly has been availing herself lately of my help as she prepares to give a presentation of her digital game research in front of the GameCODE crowd today.

So I laughed out loud when reading Metafilter today. Kelly, this link's for you. Sorry I can't make it to the meeting today to cheer you on. Go on -- Break a leg!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

A good friend taught me that powerpoint is a good visual aid if used PROPERLY. I have sadly sat in on too many badly designed presentations where people simply read off of their slides... all this ever leads me to think is "uhm...i can READ!"

As a key point background element that a speaker can speak to or reference to i have to give it a two thumbs up. Speaking of which - i got great feedback on the slides.

Lastly, the comment over at mEtafiler stating that ppt has destroyed the art of presentation. For someone like myself, it gave me the ability to stomach the nervousness knowing that people wont be looking at me the whole time. I dont see it as a crutch - i see it as gin in a slide =)