Monday, March 08, 2004

:: IRV ::

I'm not quite sure I get how it works yet (I haven't had the time to truly research it) but apparently, there are many Americans pushing for Instant Runoff Voting (IRV) to be used in the federal elections, to make running a third or fourth presidential candidate viable and to ensure that there are no more spoiler elections like those of 2000.

Much of the outcry has come on the heels of Nader's announcement that he will run again as an independant in this year's presidential elections. Nader's left-leaning detractors claim that he could spoil the Democrats chance at regaining the presidency and denying Bush a second term. Those who support both Nader and the Democrats are pushing for IRV to be adopted to avoid this.

If you understand the issue better than I obviously do, please feel free to email me.

No comments: