Tuesday, March 02, 2004

:: Fallen heroes::


Okay so maybe he wasn't really a hero, but I still don't think Stowe Boyd gets it right in his recent Darwin Mag post on why Wikis are wicked.

In my opinion, any technology that presents a barrier to a task is not good. Wikis break the web paradigm by paradoxically making it tough to post things for non-techie users. Ditto any software that goes against commonly held conventions in an attempt to go backwards in time. Thus, to my eye, Wikis are wicked bad in the true sense of those words.

Give me a graphical interface any day and leave the hard code in the hands of the slingers. Just let me get my words up there on the page without having to learn anything more complicated than how to use formatting buttons.

Yeah maybe I'm missing much of his points today cause I'm cranky. I'll re-read it later when I'm in a better mood. Maybe I'll refute my own position.

And maybe not.

No comments: