Tuesday, October 21, 2003

:: Poster post ::

As I mentioned in my post from last week, this Poster book is something. Each time I sit down to read it, I get a few pages further and I have to stop.

Why? Because my head aches with the spaghetti of ideas, concepts, questions and possibilities I'm finding in those few pages. Now, I've never read Foucault, despite being urged to do so by my COMZ prof, but I'm quickly realizing that for someone of my academic bent and research interests, he is going to be part of my personal pantheon of theorists/philosophers/influencers, right up there with De Certeau, Hall, Goffman and Fiske.

Some of the questions and things I need to go read more about elsewhere before picking up Poster again are:

* Sociological / cultural studies definitions of subject vs. object
* Nature of subjectivity in post-modern social theory
* Concept of "otherness" from social philosophy and sociological theory a la Mead, Foucault, others?

I'm beginning to build a thread of this stuff in my head though into a possible research topic on the nature of digital appropriation versus authorship. To do this though, I have stacks and scads of reading to do.

And here I thought my December break would be spent decking the halls, baking the cookies and chortling the carols. Ha!

No rest for the wicked or the unenlightened.

No comments: