Sunday, December 01, 2002

:: Owning up to ignorance ::

Earlier this week, I posted an entry about a group's website called The Banner Art Collective. I'll let you read the original post yourself to see what I said.

Now, upon reading further into Naomi Klein's amazing book, "No Logo", I have encountered the term "subvertisement" again, in the context of being a form of culture jamming. That twigged on me, because I remember speaking rather derisively of the term in my earlier post.

It would seem now, upon further investigation and reflection, that I committed a rather grave blogging crime. I failed to thoroughly research something before voicing an opinion on it.

Now, of course, I realize that my original post was probably seriously mis-guided. A new visit today to the Collective's website reveals a banner prominently portrayed at the top of the main page, which promotes last Friday's "Buy Nothing Day". Based on all of this new information together, it now dawns on me that the Collective may, in fact, be a culture jam organization, working against the corporate forces of domination, a cause for which I have great respect and admiration.

So here I am, owning up to my own arrogant ignorance. Publicly.

This post, then, is a form of penance.

I now urge you to take another look at the Collective's site. If you want to see the "Buy Nothing Day" banner that I referred to above and it's no longer on the main page by the time you read this, click on the link to their collection and scroll down to find the banner called "buy-sell(f) nothing" by artist Zebra3.

I also encourage you to find out more about Klein's book. In fact, now that "Buy Nothing Day" has ended, I urge you to surf over to your bookseller of choice and buy the book.

Perhaps these will open your eyes and mind, as they have mine.

No comments: