Monday, December 11, 2006

Studying Second Life

I'm getting deeply interested in studying Second Life. I'm watching for stories and blogposts, I've signed up for Google News Alerts and yes I'm also now Sashay Talon in-world.

Discovering SL has been a bit of a renaissance mission for me. So much of what is going on in SL is what I was arguing for back in the early 90s, when I was deeply embroiled in the FirstClass vs. Lotus Notes smackdown. It's a revival of the idea of a pervasive rich community that is run by a company who encourages member content and customization.

True, Linden Lab isn't the idealistic community-serviced minded corporation Magic was back in the day. It didn't start as a Macintosh hobbyist's passion in his basement. SL is the result of a well funded business venture that seems determined to find ways to breathe new life into the old eyeballs-&-dollars "audience as commodity" business approach.

But the whole business side of SL is something that isn't getting covered much. Instead, journalists seem to be focusing once again on the hoary idea of Second Life not being life, per se. The zombie disocurse "it's digital so it's not real" is still lurching around in the media coverage around Second Life, as I read in a long feature article in this past weekend's Toronto Star.

Wouldn't it be so much better to be covering the encroachment of the out-world tropes, metaphors and business strategies into this digital Second Life world? Given how much of what is happening in SL may be strongly determing the way we all interact digitally in 5-10 years, shouldn't media coverage be truly focused on that?

I'm going to add a Second Life section to my customized Google News page and keep an eye on this. I'm also going to go Google Magic and FirstClass and see if any of the old crowd is still out there, keeping the flame alive.

No comments: