Thursday, December 07, 2006

Politics of proteins vs bytes

A key theme in two of the three papers I'm in the midst of writing to fulfill my end-of-semester obligations in my classes involve the notion of the politics of struggle between protein-based life and byte-based life. The idea of protein as a metaphor for the experiences lived outside of digital space is one I'm playing with as an appropriate counterpart to byte-based life.

I'm wondering how to bring one of my new favourite theorists, Bruno Latour, into it all. Especially given he says stuff like this (from his book Politics of Nature):

"By refusing to tie politics to humans, subjects or freedom, and to tie science to objects, nature or necessity, we have discovered the work common to politics and to the sciences alike: Stirring the entities of the collective together in order to make them articulable and to make them speak" (89)


So if this is the work of politics now, how does that apply to byte-based life? And what kind of agency does it give to non-human digital actors? And how do non-human digital actors speek? What are their speech acts?

No comments: