Friday, February 17, 2006

Finding answers

"Spring break" as it is euphemistically called here, has started officially for me today. One week with no classes. But it is no true break, because while there are no classes, there is a lot of work to be done.

Case in point: I'm currently working on paper that asks me to respond to this question:

Critical Reflection: Are you Modern or a Postmodern?

For this assignment you may take a side in the Foucault/Habermas debate as long as you can make a claim as to what you think the debate is about. When taking a position be careful, consider what has been written, stay aware of the context, and try to imagine limitations and problems with your position as well as that of your “opponent.” Be aware of contradictions and ambiguities (hint: this is not a two-sided debate; beware of simple dichotomies).

I recognized immediately that I was far more post-modern than modern, but I'm not sure I fully appreciated how modern I was until I had a discussion with Kelly, who challenged me on some of my personal assumptions of my self and allowed me to see more clearly the fuzzy delineations between the two realms of thought.

Sadly we are only allowed to use the ten theorists from our coursepack of readings. I would have liked to do some background work using Baudelaire and Voltaire. I have a feeling I'd have had a strong affinity to Voltaire, who, according to the Wikipedia, is known for saying:
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities
...Meaning that if people believed in what is unreasonable, they will do what is unreasonable.

Considering world events of late, that remark seems to be still very much on the mark.

No comments: