Monday, September 26, 2005

Fighting the culture vultures

A few years ago, for an intro level field research course, I wrote a research proposal that proposed a study of how youth viewed music and software sharing and downloading. While I ended up dropping the class due to a clueless professor who didn't believe the study of things digital was a worthy sociological topic (?!) the idea of that research never quite left me. Back then, most of the info I found on the net was preaching how awful it was and how illegal. There was little in the discourse from the other side, or at least little that was actually informed, organized and overt.

Things have definitely changed. Today, while browsing the net for information on the Straight Edge youth subculture/movement/philosophy for my SOCI 398 Youth Culture course, I came across the website of a non-profit organization called Downhill Battle. They have a lot of information that presents the other side of the argument for music and software sharing. They've also done more street activism that I would not have thought possible. Their Thanksgiving 2003 warning sticker campaign on large US retailers of CDs is a case in point.

Perhaps it is time to revisit that idea of mine. Maybe for my new senior-level field research course? hmmm......

No comments: