Tuesday, July 05, 2005

What I'm doing on my summer vacation

Exams are over until Thanksgiving. The sun is shining and I'm wearing flipflops and a tank top. It is summer and I'm on vacation.

Big deal, you say? Well, actually, for me, yes. As I've been telling all and sundry in the last few weeks, this summer will be the first summer I've had footloose and free since the late 70s. No job, no school, no schedule. Just 8 glorious weeks of hanging by the pool, reading and chilling.

Well, that's the plan anyway. As it has shaped up so far, I've actually not read much and have been busy visiting friends, planning my Laurentians camping trip (starts next week) and trying to figure out what, if anything, I need to cram for in order to do well on the GREs. For my Canadian pals who read this, the GRE is the exam you have to write in order to get into U.S. grad schools. Georgetown won't take me without it.

My plan for the summer, then, is to camp, read digital culture books that I've been meaning to get to, read scifi and fantasy novels, and indulge in some eBaying. Oh and slathering on the sunscreen too, of course.

I may or may not be posting much here, as a result. It will depend on whether or not the ideas I find in my reading feel appropriate for this space.

Have a great summer!

No comments: