Thursday, December 02, 2004

One more reason I miss you, TO

While browsing Hodder's blog, I came across a post of hers about the term "album". What interested me is not the debate about what to call the digimusic we now all consume today (okay all of us who live any kind of wired lives). Rather, what interested me is the side note she posted below her primary post in which she says she's looking for a website or "podcast" that deals with the history of new music (okok I'm deliberately misinterpreting her, 'cause she was looking for history of "pop"). Still, it got me thinking about my favourite radio station on the planet, 102.1 The Edge out of my favourite city on the planet, Toronto.

So I clicked over to find that Alan Cross, Edge 102's resident new music historian, has put together an excellent historical overview of one of my favourite bands, Coldplay, whose song "Daylight" is one of my favourite ringtones on my LG5550.

(For those of you curious about this stuff, Alan has written a few good books about the history of new music, including this one).

Reading it and browsing the site makes me wistful and annoyed in equal measure.

Wistful because dammit I miss that city.

Annoyed that I can't find a station here in Montreal half as good - everyone here seems to want hiphop/pop, dance/house or "oldies). While I can tune into The Buzz out of Burlington, VT, their endless ads for VT merchants, annoying DJs and complete lack of Cancon bugs me. That, plus the fact their signal isn't strong enough to come through with distinct crackle.

And as cool as satellite radio is, it isn't really properly available in Canada yet.

All more reminders (as if I needed them) of why Toronto is so cool. The city of my heart.

God, I miss you, TO!

No comments: