Thursday, October 31, 2002

This morning, the wonder set in. I'm doing it. I'm actually publishing again.

See...years ago, when the web was very young, I used to run a personal website. I got my bandwidth from the online service and ISP I was helping to run at the time in Toronto. I remember posting information about where I'd been for dinner the night before, what I thought about ISP politics (of which there were a lot at the time) and links to sites I'd found with various comments from me about what I thought about them.

I think I ran the site there for almost a year. In programming terms, it was very Mickey Mouse. I've never been a codejock and couldn't seem to muster up the interest to proceed past HTML 1.0. As long as I knew how to add bolds, italics, links, bulleted lists, etc. I didn't care about the rest. My friends outside the tiny Canadian ISP world had no idea why I wanted my own site and thought I was nuts. My co-workers ignored it (not surprising -- looking back, I can admit it wasn't very interesting). I didn't really care though. I had my site. I was part of it. I was happy.

But like many passing interests for me, the idea of needing to write and publish began to wane. I was working 14 hour + days and just couldn't muster the enthusiasm to sit down at the computer yet again when I got home. I moved my site over to Geocities, with their free templates to make managing the interface easier. Still not satisfied, I soon moved it to the Globe, during their "online community" period, hoping that having a personal site in that community might spur me on. Nope.

Eventually, I just let it expire and die.

And now, some 4 (or is it 5?) years later, here I am. Publishing again. Not for clients, but for me.

Wow.

Theoretically, of course, it's because of my project, but I guess also because I'm getting some pleasure out of it, some new meaning and connection with the I-Space.

So far.

No comments: