Monday, April 24, 2006

Crossing the finish line

I wrote and finished my last exam at 10:49 this morning. So I’m done. And not done as in just finished this semester, but done as in finished this degree entirely.

Wow

Getting a degree was a dream for me, for as long as I can remember actually. I wanted to be the first person in my family to do this and it would seem I have. Never again can I be passed over for a promotion because I don’t have a uni degree, or told I can’t be hired/shouldn’t be hired just because I don’t have that piece of paper.

Of course when I started it, I had no idea it would consume me so, would become my new raison d’etre. Although, I suppose those who know me well aren’t that surprised, for it isn’t like me to settle for the easy stuff. Once I figured out that I was good at this whole academic thing and that
here was a place where I could make a living out of everything I’m good at – writing, presenting, mentoring/teaching, selling, thinking big thoughts, deconstructing social life, observing humans.

But as of today, April 24, 2006, my BA in Sociology at Concordia is finished. Completed. Done. Over in all but the formality of conferring the piece of paper on me at a ritual in June.

Wow.

Now what?

No comments: