Sunday, June 26, 2005

Aware of what I'm unaware

As I spend this muggy, sunny Sunday re-reading a selection of high canon sociological theory, from Emile Durkheim to Karl Marx, Max Weber to George Herbert Mead and not-yet-canonical John Hewitt to add modern-day spice, I realize that each time I approach their theories with a specific question in mind, I find a slightly new item to add to my answer. I am attempting to distill the main thoughts of this bunch down into 250 words each to regurgitate on a final exam tomorrow.

Marx for marks. Again.

So in a fine fit of academic procrastination, I started wandering the web and came across this article about Habermas, yet another almost canonical theorist that I have yet to read. It made me want to correct that oversight, though, rather than continuously plumbing the depths of the same 6 theorists yet again.

And so there are days when I'm more painfully aware that there is so much yet in social, philosophical and political theory that I have yet to read. Days when I realize that, seemingly voracious reader that I purport to be, my entire corpus of reading seems to be but a small ripple in the ocean of thought that is out there.

This is one of those days.

No comments: